Net Neutrality
9/10/14 - 4:21AM - 3 years ago
Posted by: sam_here
sam_here
VIP
553 Posts
57 Reputations
+1

Merchz among other websites; Netflix, Imgur, Reddit, Wordpress, Mozilla, and others; have decided to make a stance against net neutrality. Today, September 10th, we've decided to slow the site down and have a one time popup for users to show what browsing Merchz could be be like if cable companies get their way to get rid of net neutrality. Our site slowdown is server sided which means that no extra data is being used so you're still safe to load on your phones mobile plan.

Complete Net Neutrality guide
Wikipedia page for Net neutrality
Stop slowing me down!

What is net neutrality?
Ever since the beginning of the internet there's always been grey areas on what's legal and what's not since there's not a whole lot of legislation regarding it. Net neutrality is the meaning that all data is sent as the same priority with the same speed. This means that all the data loaded from Merchz is sent at the same speed, and priority as data from Google.

Why are they (Comcast, Verizon, Time Warner, and Others) even considering slowing down the internet?
Cable companies argue that it costs a lot of money to maintain their network while described in the video below that the US has some of the slowest internet in the world.

Big companies like Google, Facebook will not be affected because they will pay premiums to have their site in the fast lane. Smaller sites like Merchz will be forced to stay in the slow lane or pay a high premium which isn't feasible to most startups such as Merchz.

Who does this effect?
Legislation is currently only for the United States, but if this passes than Europe may try to do the same to milk more money out of their customers.

What can I do?
Add your comment: Tell the FCC to throw out its rules and instead reclassify ISPs as common carriers.

Send a tweet: @[insert your congressional rep's Twitter username] I stand for a free and open Internet. Tell the FCC to protect #NetNeutrality

Where can I get more information?
Watch the following videos...

#2910 9/10/14 - 9:44AM - 3 years ago - [quote]
Posted by: GhostMerching
GhostMerching
VIP
18 Posts
5 Reputations
+1
A worthy cause. Keep fighting the good fight, guys.
#2914 9/10/14 - 7:11PM - 3 years ago - Last Edit: 9/10/14 - 7:11PM - [quote]
Posted by: Turbo
Turbo
VIP
1 Post
0 Reputation
I'm actually very proud of you all for joining the fight against net neutrality! Cheers! :D
#2915 9/10/14 - 7:43PM - 3 years ago - [quote]
Posted by: ImpPateint
ImpPateint

VIP
11 Posts
9 Reputations
Rsn: Imp Pateint
John Oliver is hilarious. If we lose net neutrality it will demonstrate that the money of corporations outweighs the voices of the people.
#2916 9/10/14 - 10:07PM - 3 years ago - [quote]
Posted by: BulletSoul
BulletSoul
8 Posts
1 Reputation
The government never gets anything right. Hopefully they dont get rid of Net Neutrality.
#2918 9/12/14 - 1:23AM - 3 years ago - Last Edit: 9/12/14 - 1:23AM - [quote]
sam_here
VIP
553 Posts
57 Reputations
I just found this and it really hits home:

Snippet from: https://imgur.com/a/OG290
#2920 9/12/14 - 5:36PM - 3 years ago - [quote]
sam_here
VIP
553 Posts
57 Reputations
https://www.battleforthenet.com/sept10th/#infographic
#2967 9/24/14 - 5:33PM - 3 years ago - [quote]
Posted by: dom1
dom1
VIP
19 Posts
1 Reputation
What is happening with this currently? I support net neutrality and it staying the way it is.
#2969 9/25/14 - 3:06AM - 3 years ago - Last Edit: 9/25/14 - 3:07AM - [quote]
sam_here
VIP
553 Posts
57 Reputations
What is happening with this currently? I support net neutrality and it staying the way it is.
dom1 on 9/24/14 - 5:33PM
The latest:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/25/business/media/comcast-accuses-rivals-of-extortion-in-opposing-its-bid-for-time-warner-cable.html?_r=0

http://online.wsj.com/articles/comcast-time-warner-cable-say-merger-wouldnt-reduce-choice-1411563601
#2977 9/25/14 - 7:49PM - 3 years ago - Last Edit: 9/25/14 - 7:50PM - [quote]
Posted by: dom1
dom1
VIP
19 Posts
1 Reputation
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/25/business/media/comcast-accuses-rivals-of-extortion-in-opposing-its-bid-for-time-warner-cable.html?_r=0

This article is stupid. Comcast just basically admitted that they want control over the internet as a whole in a round about way. And of course Netflix would oppose comcast, after they slowed down netflix speeds on purpose to make an example to them of what they were capable of. It was on television. lol. That was a really dumb arguement, and they had better lose, because they do not have the right to take away more of our freedom as Americans, and that includes the internet and it's speeds that should be provided equally to all businesses, not made into a tiered system to cost extra.